Lord Road Association
Lord Road Association
2026 Annual Meeting
9:30 AM, July 18, 2026
Location - Crowley Residence, 62 Camp Road, Sanbornville, NH
Paul Romano, President, opened the meeting at approximately 9:30 AM and invited the membership to join in
with the Pledge of Allegiance. He informed the group that we are recording the meeting and if you want to
speak, please raise your hand and Glenn Bloom will bring the microphone to you. He noted a quorum was met
with nineteen (19) households in attendance.
Treasurer’s Report
Elizabeth Connor, Treasurer, informed the group that they should have 4 reports in hand. The first one was the
Balance Sheet; this shows we have a total of $85,000 in the bank as of June. Receivables were $22,000 and we
may see another $4,000 in receivables.
The Cash Flow Statement as of yesterday shows what we have in the bank and what we expect to receive, what
our budget expenses are expected to be this year and any additional cost that we had budgeted that we haven't
spent yet which brings an ending balance as of the end of next year in our regular checking account of $5,000.
(once we spend our budget this year and the cost of the two projects that we had agreed on at the last Annual
Meeting - the culvert on Lord Road and the unnamed Brook at Camp Road). Each of these projects were
$8,000 each, which totals the $16,000 that is listed on the Cash Flow Statement. We have $25,000 in the
savings, which we're keeping as Capital Reserve.
Next is a Budget Comparison of last year to this budget versus actual. This last fiscal year shows the
comparison line by line of items we spent. The only thing that was any different was that we spent more on
gravel this year. We did not spend any money on brush trimming or capital improvements in the fiscal year, but
it was budgeted for that. The Cash Flow Statement reflects where the money's going and where we'll end up.
We have a projected budget for 2027 showing that we will have zero left at the end of the year after all our
expenses. Robbie's contract and cost of gravel is going up. Very little was budgeted for repairs ($2,500) and
we're still dead flat.
Elizabeth asked if there were any questions…none were asked.
Paul informed the group that the Board has been discussing the dues and if you notice from Elizabeth's
presentation, at the end of the budget year, we're basically flat. If we go through next year in the same manner
and don't have dues increase, it will be flat or in the minuses. Paul informed the group that we are looking at
doing 2 Projects which Sam will address. We have two to complete this year and then the next two projects that
Sam is going to discuss are projects that can't be done in the following year because of the cost. We'd like to
start putting money aside into a Capital Account so that we don't get hit with a big expense. They’re both
important projects and one of them has been overdue for quite some time. Both have an impact on the lake
water.
Paul stated that when we vote on an issue, there's one vote per household. If you have more than one property,
you get a vote for each property. If you are not current with dues, you're not entitled to vote. This is how the
bylaws are written. He asked if there were any questions. There were no questions.
A member then asked about the $22,000 outstanding in Accounts Receivables and if this was dues that have not
yet been paid? They were informed by Elizabeth that is correct and we've accrued finance charges on their
properties. Curt Cook said those dues will be reclaimed when they sell their house – both Elizabeth & Paul
confirmed that is correct. Paul said we could go to court or wait until the property changed hands. Paul said
we have a couple of properties that owe years’ worth of dues. Curt Cook said I think it’s a law now, it’s not like
you have a choice anymore, you have to pay and you don’t have a leg to stand on. Paul said if we went on that
route we would have to pay for an attorney. A Member asked if it was the same people? Paul said it varies but
we do have a couple of properties with long-term nonpayment situations. A Member asked if it is always zero at
the end of the situation we are in? Elizabeth replied…. No, it's not always zero. Last year we had $2,000 left
over. We had to step up and spend a lot this year for gravel. She said it is pretty cut and dry, there are expenses
that we cannot control. Basically, it’s Robbie's contract, the revenue we bring in and our insurance; it's basically
zero at the end of the year.
Paul interjected that it doesn’t allow for projects. At last year's meeting, the Board was going to look at raising
the dues, which we did look at, and we did not do it last year. We are looking at it again this coming year; The
Board of Directors sets the dues. The Board is looking at $50 per household which would bring us to $500. Paul
corrected that number to $100 which would bring us to $500, which is much less than other associations paying
in the vicinity of $700. The money would go toward our Capital Outlay Fund, and it would cover the projects
that we're going to be doing.
Kathy Locurto said there is a lot of money from people who have not paid. She wanted to know if there is a
consistent reason as to why they are not paying? Paul said one of those people lives at the beginning of the
road, and he thinks that they don't feel they use enough of the road to pay the bill. Another one is a person that
just has a philosophy against paying. He said we could go to court and be successful, we have just not decided
if we want to spend the money to do that; it is guaranteed to us when the property changes hands. Kathy wanted
to know if they have been offered a payment plan. Paul replied, yes, we have and there was no interest. A
Member wanted to know if we’ve tried not going to a lawyer but sending a letter from a lawyer as a scare
tactic…had we tried it? Paul said we haven't tried it. If folks felt strongly about it, we could look into the cost
of legal assistance to do that. A Member wanted to know if we are sharing names? Paul said it was a public
record and another Member said just look at the sign board…if their name is not on it then they haven’t paid.
Elizabeth said there are about 10 properties that are delinquent.
There were no further questions.
Road Report
Sam Crowley said the final Dustless application from the second entrance at Camp Road, up to the hill by
Savini’s, was completed. We will not continue with further applications as it has become too expensive. This is
a bad dust year, yet the application seems to be doing very good. We are going to start brush cutting; Sam met
with Robbie on that.
We've got two projects that we're working on. One of them is just about done - still need to line the edge of the
unnamed brook with telephone poles to prevent runoff directly into the brook. The large soaker is done, and we
have put down a lot of bark mulch to stop runoff from getting into that brook. Jay Anderson asked who
approved that? Both Sam & Paul said it was approved of last year. Jay said no you didn’t. Paul informed him it
was on the agenda and voted on at the meeting. Paul asked if he would like a copy of the minutes? Jay said we
only approved of the two $8,000 projects. Paul informed Jay that this project they are talking about was one of
those projects. Jay wanted to know where the competitive quotes were. Jay said that was part of the vote. Both
Sam & Paul told him it was not. Sam informed him that the members voted on them at last year’s meeting and
we normally use Robbie…he is the most advantageous guy we have, and Sam helps him out whenever he can.
Jay said Robbie is talking about retiring. Sam informed Jay that Robbie will continue to work on Lord Road.
Sam said we will next be working on the Lord Road Culvert near Heartbreak Hill where the road keeps eroding.
The culvert will dump into a turnout before the brook so that the sediment can filter out.
Sam asked if anyone had questions….
Marybeth Cook asked if this was at the end of Heartbreak Hill? Sam told her that if you come up Heartbreak
Hill and go down the other side it is where the water naturally rips across the road. There will be a drainage
swale on the right-hand side and the culvert will go across the road to the other side. Marybeth wanted to know
if anyone was looking at the bridge by the Ruping’s home (Meadow Brook)? She mentioned the concrete
guardrail at Meadow Brook and when you get heavy rain, it comes down that hill and right underneath it. Sam
told her that he and Robbie tried to get that back in the road and get it set. They initially had to get it out of the
brook. They plan to use the backhoe and the skid steer together as it is too heavy for just the backhoe. There is
also some repair needed to the asphalt. Multiple conversations going on with members as to who would have hit
it and that there was a crack in the asphalt there. No one saw who hit it, but everyone agreed that a vehicle had
to hit it. Sam mentioned we should also patch a crack on the hill by 140 Lord. He also mentioned again that
we're going to start the brush cutting. Robbie is going to do the brush cutting and will concentrate near the boat
launch up to Savini’s.
Sam has evaluated the soakers at the boat ramp and they have about 6-8 inches of silt in them. There is runoff
starting to get on the asphalt. One of the projects that we're proposing to do is to fix that hill from Savini's down
to the end of the pavement. We want to widen that. A Member stated that they (PRA) are collecting money to
maintain that ramp and wanted to know if they contributing any of that money towards Lord Road? Sam told
them that the PRA is responsible for the maintenance of the soakers. Paul said we have had no expenses up until
now and we will discuss it with the PRA. Sam said, when we designed that project, we wanted to pave more of
that hill between Savini's and the ramp to stop that runoff and erosion. That road is very narrow. One of the
projects that we'd like to do, next year, is widen that section of road. (Between the end of that pavement, up the
hill towards the Savini’s house), and we would re-gravel that section and widen it in the first year. We can't
afford to do the whole project in one year. Potentially pave it, continue paving up the hill in the following year.
The total of that project is estimated at $31,000. More asphalt will reduce silt. Most hills in the LRA are paved.
Years ago these hills were paved and we never maintained them. The second project is the drainage at
Baranowski’s residence. Sam has gone down there in a rain situation where there's literally a river running next
to Baronowski’s cottage down into the lake. The turnouts won't cover that - they fill up and then they overflow.
A Member asked if that was a priority? Yes, as both affect water quality and drainage. We would do both
projects in two parts. We would put some money away in the first year and do the project in the second year. A
member inquired about getting grant money from AWWA referring to Clearwater Lane receiving state funds
for a road that doesn’t even drain into the lake when we have issues with drainage directly into the lake. They
wanted to know how we could get the same help? Paul reminded them that AWWA was part of the boat ramp
project; Sam & Cindy did a lot of the work along with others. Cindy did the fundraising and we paid out a lot
of money above the initial grant funds that were received. Sam & Paul informed the group that the paving they
want to do on the Lord Road Hill from the current pavement to Savini’s would not receive funding as the state
stamped the boat launch project a success, estimating that it stopped over 100 pounds of phosphorous from
going into the lake. Initially, it was hoped we would receive a 2nd grant. The 1st phase of that project had a lot
of fundraising. Paul did say we would talk to AWWA about these new projects. Jay Anderson wanted to know
what testing was done to estimate phosphorous went in the lake. He was told those estimates came from the
state.
Sam told the group that New Hampshire distributes their money through AWWA. We got that grant from
AWWA in the first year to complete the boat ramp as it stands right now. We went to them in the second year to
see if we could get some more money from them to finish the project and they said no; the project was too
successful in removing phosphorus from the lake and we would not receive additional grant money for that
project. The Baronowski Project is going to be estimated at $34,000. It will require another soaker, very similar
to the ones at the boat launch and it will require some paving, up and down both of those hills. That will stop
the erosion, it will be able to redirect the water into a soaker. Paul said Sam continues to do work to improve
these roads, all of which is unpaid. All the engineering, shooting, surveying is done by Sam.
Sam asked if there were any more questions on these projects? A Member responded…..I trust your judgment.
Paul - next item is the budget discussion - the board is going to revisit the dues increase over the coming year. A
Member questioned if it was $50 and Paul corrected it was $100. Jay Anderson asked if that’s voted on by the
body (members). Paul informed him it would be voted on by the Board.
Donna Mondeau asked if you increase by $100 - how much more will that generate your income plan? Paul said
it might take two years to accumulate the money to do one or both of the projects that Sam talked about. We
can't tell you exactly, because we haven't got the final numbers for those projects. They're significantly more
complicated than these other projects. We will keep you posted.
A Member asked how many dues paying properties do we have? Paul said we have a total of 128 properties
with 12 delinquents.
Sam informed the group that we put 20 loads of gravel down this year….15 on Lord Road, 4 on Grenier Road
and then one on Camp. It made a significant improvement on Lord, and I would like to continue that next year.
Arthur Pestauro questioned paving the road in increments and was this achievable? There were multiple
conversations going on amongst members talking at the same time about cost and that people knew they bought
properties on a dirt road. Sam said high traffic areas and hills should be paved….we don’t have enough revenue
to pave the whole road.
Curt Cook said the roads have improved over the past 5 years with one Member stating this year is the best they
have ever been. Many members agreed.
Rodger Krussman asked how much these two projects are in total? Sam - in the first year to widen the section
by the boat ramp it would be 15k for labor & gravel and in the second year to pave it would be 17k – a total of
32k. For the Baranowski project we would propose putting 17k into a capital outlay fund and then fund it in the
2nd year. A Member said that is approximately 60K for both the projects. Sam said about 65k. The same
Member said that with 128 Members, the $100 increase will only raise an additional 12k each year. Multiple
members talking at once about calculating the dues and how the first $400 goes to maintenance and with 128
households with $100 increase in dues – it would take years to collect the amount needed. Members wanted to
know where the extra money would be coming from? Marybeth Cook wanted to know if AWWA would be
contacted to help with these projects? Sam – we’ll call Jon Balanoff from AWWA to see if they can help in any
way.
Paul - The next item is the renewal of the road maintenance contract. Robbie has given us a proposal for the
next two years, which has a total increase of $1200.
Curt Cook made a motion to accept the contract, and another member was quick to 2nd it. Paul asked if there
was any discussion – nothing. Paul asked, All those in favor of renewing the budget for the road maintenance
signified by saying, Aye. It was unanimous.
Paul then asked for a vote on the budget as Elizabeth had presented. And the only thing that would be different
was if the board does vote for a dues increase, it does not take effect until next June. Elizabeth said these
projects will be in next year's budget, if we have the funding to do them at that point. That's why they're not
showing up in this year's budget, because they're not going to happen until next year. Paul confirmed that the
money would start after June 1st.
Kathy Locurto - Do you anticipate the following year increasing at another $100? Paul replied no, not yet.
Jay Anderson - It’s increased every year with this board. Paul’s reply - We have not increased the dues every
year. Jay Anderson said we went from the zones, which the far end of the road was paying through the nose.
Paul asked – how many years ago was that? Jay said two or three and every year since, it's gone up, and the
people up there got whacked the hardest when they got reworked, and you guys went up even higher than what
we were paying before…. anything up by Savini’s and beyond the boat ramp and all that got whacked every
year. Curt Cook said they did it to balance everything out. Jays response…. We were paying the most for 20
years. Multiple Members were all making statements at the same time stating that you’re paying less.
Marybeth Cook informed him that we (Lake Road) had to pay another $200 on top of the $200 we were paying
at the beginning…we were paying just as much as you were. On Lake Road, we were paying more than you
were. Jay said he didn’t know what you guys are paying down here on these other roads. Marybeth Cook said
we're all paying the same now. Elizabeth told Jay that if you give me your address, I will mail you an historical
record of all of the dues and all of the changes over the years, and you will have the facts. Jays response was
why don’t we do an audit and he made a motion to have a forensic audit done on the book. Paul informed Jay he
was not a voting Member, and he cannot make a motion. Jays response was that he has not paid his dues
because he wanted to see how this played out.
Paul asked….can we get back to the meeting again? I'd like a vote on the budget for next year. We already
voted on Robbie’s section, so I need a motion to vote the budget for next year.
Curt Cook made a motion - Paul asked if there was a second. A Member quickly seconded it.
Paul asked for all those in favor of the budget for next year signify by saying, Aye.
Any opposed…. none. It was unanimous.
Paul asked if there was anything else that the membership would like to discuss before we look for
adjournment?
Curt Cook said - Yeah, Geese. How are we going to get rid of them? Sam said he called NH Fish & Game Dept
and they directed him to the USDA…. because it's a migratory bird, they're protected. He was told they will
come get rid of them for a cost and cannot guarantee it would be successful. Sam said he will have to check
with Patty Philbrick. He thought she had a post on the PRP page once.
A Member made a motion to adjourn the meeting which was seconded. No one opposed and the meeting was
adjourned at approximately 10:15 am.
Meeting minutes submitted by Cindy Pfeiffer, Secretary, Lord Road Association.